docs/61598: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html should be updated with info on updating 5.2 w/o HEAD

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Apr 23 15:20:39 UTC 2004

The following reply was made to PR docs/61598; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net>
To: Chris Pepper <pepper at reppep.com>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/61598: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html should be updated with info on updating 5.2 w/o HEAD
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:14:54 +0300

 --cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP

 On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:58:05PM -0500, Chris Pepper wrote:
 > 	The Handbook, in particular
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html,
 > lacks information on updating 5.2.
 > I'm testing the water, after tracking 4_RELENG for a while, and don't
 > want to use CURRENT, but nformation on the equivalent to RELENG_4 is
 > hard to find. I see RELENG_5_2 in cvsweb -- is there something else I
 > should track to keep 5.2 updated without going fully bleeding-edge?
 > This should also probably be mentioned in the FAQ.

 No, there is no such branch for the present.  Currently, the only 5.x
 branches available are HEAD (the bleeding-edge -CURRENT itself) and the
 release branches (or security branches) RELENG_5_0, RELENG_5_1,
 RELENG_5_2, RELENG_5_2_1.  None of them has the semantics of a stable
 branch because, well, 5.x is not yet deemed stable.  When the transition
 to 5.x-STABLE is made, a new RELENG_5 branch will be created and it will
 then have the same 'stable branch' semantics as the current RELENG_4.
 This will most likely happen with the release of FreeBSD 5.3 in a couple
 of months.

 > 	Similarly, http://www.freebsd.org/releng/ should be updated (the
 > HEAD comment says 5.2 is not yet announced).

 I think this has happened in the meantime :)

 > >Fix:

 > 	Update these URLs with information on tracking 5.2 -- is
 > RELENG_5_2 only for security fixes, comparable to RELENG_4_8? Is
 > there any alternative to track aside from CURRENT (tag=3D.)?

 No, there is no alternative yet.  As explained above, the RELENG_5
 (stable) branch will probably be cut with FreeBSD 5.3.  For the present,
 yes, there is only the release branch RELENG_5_2, which only carries
 security fixes.

 Thus, there doesn't seem to be anything that would need updating on the
 above URL's, except the updates that have already been done as things
 progressed with the release of 5.2.1 and the upcoming 4.10 :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --=20
 Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org