Involvement?

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 28 16:08:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 03:24:34AM -0400, Robert G.Waycott wrote:

> Hey docTeam. I am pretty new to FreeBSD, having recently migrated from
>three years as a Linux user. For one prodigious reason or another, I
>have somewhat found myself taken with FreeBSD--perchance because I have
>finally escaped the old "shit, what'd I do? I don't now! Hell, let's
>just install Redhat again and everything will work" scenario. Anyway, I
>am about to go ahead and install 4.9-PRERELEASE on my main box here at
>home, and am wondering what kind of help the docProject needs. Does 4.9
>need work? I have several years experience as a writer and editor, thus
>this seems to be the best place to offer my skills and finally find
>involvement in the Open Source community. I do not know much of how you
>guys do what you do, but would really like to learn and serve as an
>editor for documentation, and possibly write when I know more. I am
>pretty good at communicating difficult subject matter to a rather
>uninformed/underinformed audience, and would love to help ensure that
>the docs which are out there are fairly straightforward for the
>"newbie." Anyway, I have spoken enough. Waiting for direction.

Hi Bob,

Glad you'd like to help out.
Firstly, please wrap your mails at 72 characters.

Secondly, to get involved, please initially read the primer at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
and the background information to the documentation project at
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/index.html.

As a new user you're in a good position to write documentation; if you're
trying to do something and the docs are lacking or don't exist, you can
just make a note of what you had to do and write it up.

When you're done reading the above, you may have some more specific questions,
so feel free to ask again then.

Cheers,

Ceri