cvs commit: src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/early-adopter article.sgml src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/errata article.sgml src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/readme article.sgml

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 8 16:19:16 UTC 2003

If memory serves me right, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> simon       2003/09/08 07:53:02 PDT
>
>   FreeBSD src repository (doc committer)
>
>   Modified files:
>     release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/early-adopter article.sgml
>     release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/errata article.sgml
>     release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/readme article.sgml
>   Log:
>   - Use trademark entities.
>   - Add trademark attributions.
>   - Don't join trademarks with other words, e.g. using hyphens.

I noticed a couple of trademark entities that looked a little odd,
specifically where we refer to the name of a FreeBSD architecture.
For example, the first sentence of the "Late-Breaking News" section of
the errata used to read (roughly):

"ipfw(4) should work correctly on strict-alignment 64-architectures
such as alpha and sparc64."

Now it reads:

"ipfw(4) should work correctly on strict-alignment 64-architectures
such as alpha and Sparc64(R)."

The problem is that "Sparc64(R)" or "Sparc64" is not what we call the
platform, it's "sparc64".  (Think of "/usr/src/sys/sparc64".)  In my
mind, the use of "sparc64" above is just one step away from a
filename, even though I never marked it up as such.  I think there was
a use of "i386" that was similar.  It's not clear to me what's the
right thing here.

A more clear-cut case:  What if I have some text that says "look in the
<filename>sparc64</filename> directory".  Does this become the
(completely incorrect) "look in the <filename>&sparc64;</filename>
directory"?

(I have absolutely no problems at all with using the trademark
entities in cases where it's unlikely that a reader could interpret a
term as a filename.)

No criticism intended, this is good work.  I'm just trying to wrap my
mind around it, as well as figure out all the implications of these
changes.

Thanks,

Bruce.