bsd.kmod.mk and manual pages.

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 1 07:13:34 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:46:11AM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick at garage.freebsd.pl> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:54:17 +0200
> From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick at garage.freebsd.pl>
> To: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org>
> Cc: freebsd-doc at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: bsd.kmod.mk and manual pages.
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:56:21AM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> +> Usually driver manual pages are added to section four, and then
> +> they are built with the Makefile from that location.
> +>
> +> Or did I misinterpret your question?
>
> I want to create Makefile for kernel module:
>
> ---[ Makefile start ]---
> KMOD=	foo
> SRCS=	foo.c
> MAN=	foo.4
>
> .include <bsd.kmod.mk>
> ---[ Makefile end ]---
>
> As you can see, manual page is in the same directory, but bsd.kmod.mk
> ignores 'MAN' variable, so manual page isn't gziped on 'make' nor
> installed on 'make install'.
>
> For example bsd.prog.mk know how to handle 'MAN' variable.
>
> So my question is: Is there some clean way to prepare Makefile which will
> handle module with manual page?

Pawel,

The short answer is NO, you should put your manpage in share/man/man4/.
The long answer is that it was decided that bsd.kmod.mk will not handle
manpages anymore, as it's likely that src/sys/modules/ will disappear
at some point completely.

: revision 1.112
: date: 2002/01/11 15:48:36;  author: ru;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -16
: Drop <bsd.man.mk> support from <bsd.kmod.mk>.
: Not objected to by:     -current

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,