Kernelpath & arplookup.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 20:14:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:51:48PM +0200, Peter Terpstra wrote:

> I compiled a new (lighter) kernel and it works great but I found the path
> mentioned in dmesg or `uname -v' a bit strange, its the place of compile:
>
> peter at k7:~:0>uname -v
> FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Fri Oct 24 01:12:56 CEST 2003
> root at k7.localdomain:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKERNEL-K6
>
> Does that mean I cannot remove the old kernel-source?
> I did a `configure MYKERNEL-K6;make depend;make; make install' just as
> mentioned in the on-line FreeBSD handbook.
> Why isn't the path something with /boot/kernel?

As you say, that isn't the location in the file system where the
kernel is installed: it's where the kernel was compiled.  To find
where the kernel was booted from try:

    % sysctl kern.bootfile

You can certainly clear out your kernel compile directory without
affecting the operation of the system.

While the way you compiled the kernel certainly works, it's actually
the 'old' way.  Nowadays the commonest way to build and install a
kernel is:

    # cd /usr/src
    # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL-K6
    # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL-K6

In thins case, you'll find that the kernel compile path is
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL-K6

As to quite why it's like this I'm not sure.  I think it's one of
those things that has always been that way, and because it's been like
that for so long no one is going to change it now.

> arp:
> Frequently I get this message on the first console:
> arplookup 213.84.240.105 failed: host is not on local network

Yes.  This isn't necessarily an error.  All it means is that there is
a host on the same physical network segment but with an IP number that
belongs to a different network than your machine.  If this isn't a
misconfiguration then you can suppress the error message by:

    # sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface 0

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way