HEADS-UP: doc/ tree slushie

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Oct 20 16:31:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:16:06AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> Yeeek, what are those hard-coded version numbers doing in there?!?
> Actually...are there some other related constants (i.e. amount of disk
> space) that might need to be changed or otherwise track a version
> number?  I haven't read the hubs article lately.

The numbers were adjusted to current reality 2 or 3 months ago.  That
said the hubs article does need more work.  We were trying to come to
something resembling consensus on what being an Official Mirror Site
meant but that discussion was going on at the same time we were
planning changes to the content of the site (dropping branches/) so
it seemed like it would be best to procrastinate a bit on trying to
finish the discussion.  I'm not tracking more information about the
sites and started to incorporate some of it into the article as well,
which effects some of what's there (e.g. I added what access methods
are available to the list of FTP mirror sites which makes the section
about rsync hosts possibly defunct, but there was also http added
as an access method and keeping separate lists of hosts for all three
access methods seems a bit much...).

The disk space numbers can't *really* be linked straight to an OS
version because there is so much other stuff in the site.  The
size of the ports/distfiles and to some extent the -current package
sets fluctuate based on non-release-issues.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |