Results of "Hiding email addresses" discussion

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Oct 18 15:12:41 UTC 2003

[ Just to docs at ... ]

It might be a good idea for us to decide what the outcome of that
hiding email addresses discussion on developers@ (and elsewhere...)
was.  It could have an effect on new work if nothing else.

Do you think it's fair to say we should probably start limiting places
where we put email addresses of people who have not directly "joined
the project"?  Using the example of the mirror system only because I'm
most familiar with it, I have no expectation that my email address
should be hidden away because I have chosen to join the project.  But
I recently went through and removed the email addresses of the cvsup
site maintainers because they're a mixture of people who have joined
the project and people who simply needed a cvsup server for their
own purposes and are willing to let other people use it.

It seemed like the issue of hiding addresses of people who have chosen
to join the project isn't going to get resolved, at least any time
soon - strong views on both ends of the spectrum.

Thoughts?

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu