hiding e-mail adresses needed badly

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 16 16:59:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:45:45PM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> des at des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=) wrote:
> > Andrey Chernov <ache at nagual.pp.ru> writes:
> > > It sounds heroic, but the position alone not helps to stop low-life
> > > con-men's invasion.
> >
> > Stop whining and install SpamAssassin.
>
> Seconded.  I get about two spam messages a week that get through to the
> inbox, and the rest picked off by SpamAssassin with a good spamfolder to
> assist it with Bayesian filtering (I don't delete spam, I move it all to the
> spam folder if I see it in my inbox).  Actually, you know what I'd like?
> Absolutely no protection for my address at all.  I don't want it hidden or
> obfuscated and I especially don't want hidden restrictions about who I can
> and can't send e-mail to/receive e-mail from dictated solely by the mail
> server (i.e. can't receive mail from or send to my uncle using AOL... not
> using @FreeBSD.org as my address...)

Since I also have a working spam-filter (and download bandwidth is not
a constraint for me) I'm quite sympathetic to this viewpoint as well.

I highly encourage everyone in need of better spam protection to
install bogofilter - after training, it catches >98% of my spam with 0
false positives in at least the last 6 months.

Kris