Errant reference to "make world"

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 29 17:30:26 UTC 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 10:34:36AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > A co-worker of mine just wisely pointed out that the reason people keep
> > shooting their feet by using "make world" instead of the documented
> > upgrade procedure is that we keep telling them to do so (doh):
> >
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
> >
> >     Before compiling FreeBSD-CURRENT, read the Makefile in /usr/src
> >     carefully.  You should at least run a make world the first time
> >     through as part of the upgrading process. Reading the FreeBSD-CURRENT
> >     mailing list and /usr/src/UPDATING will keep you up-to-date on other
> >     bootstrapping procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move
> >     toward the next release.
> >

> the "make world" words are a link to
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> which is very well documented, it seems difficult to do more, however
> maybe some parts need a rewording.

The problem is that "make world" is both a set of instructions, and a
link.  Could we change the link text to read:

  "You should at least <install a new kernel and rebuild the world> the
   first time through..."

To avoid confusing commands with descriptive text?  I agree that the
instructions in the handbook are quite sufficient on the linked page.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research