Errant reference to "make world"

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 29 15:37:14 UTC 2003

A co-worker of mine just wisely pointed out that the reason people keep
shooting their feet by using "make world" instead of the documented
upgrade procedure is that we keep telling them to do so (doh):

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

    Before compiling FreeBSD-CURRENT, read the Makefile in /usr/src
    carefully.  You should at least run a make world the first time
    through as part of the upgrading process. Reading the FreeBSD-CURRENT
    mailing list and /usr/src/UPDATING will keep you up-to-date on other
    bootstrapping procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move
    toward the next release.

I believe we have a nice chunky section in the Developer's Handbook on
"The One Right Way", which talks about breaking out kernel and world
builds, etc.  Could we just make this a cross-reference to the One Right
Way?

Thanks,

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research