Translation of FreeBSD Handbook into Slovene

Jernej Kovacic jkovacic at email.si
Mon Nov 17 11:32:12 UTC 2003

Dear Sir or Madam!

I would like to translate the FreeBSD Handbook (for the latest version, i.e.
5.1) into Slovene language which will most likely take several months as this
would be my spare time project. I am a total beginner at FreeBSD (but an
experienced Linux user) and I would like to learn more about it through
translating the Handbook. Before I start I have several questions:

>From the Linux Documentation Project I got used to that the "source" document
was written as SGML (either LinuxDoc or DocBook) which was then converted into
many other formats (e.g. HTML, PDF etc.). What is the situation at FreeBSD?
Where can I download the English source from?

Will you be ready to publish my translation along with translations into other
languages?

Slovene language contains three (actually three capital and thre small) letters
that do not exist in English. The whole alphabet is covered by ISO 8859-2 and of
course by UTF-8 and other implementations of Unicode. Which is the preferred one
to submit the translation? Do you believe it could cause any problems when
converting the source into other formats?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Jernej Kovacic