Web Site Usability

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Nov 10 16:35:32 UTC 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Mr.Arlen Britton wrote:
> Your site needs some work to make it usable for the average person,
> instead of the system administrators of these systems. For example, if
> one were looking for security patches or vulnerabilities for Mac OS X,
> there seems no way to search for them; I tried and got no results that
> identified anything this way.

You're searching for MacOS X security holes on www.freebsd.org?  This
counts as "operator error", not a problem with the FreeBSD web site.

> At the same time, if you have a patch for the specific vulnerabilities
> in question, I don't think it would be too difficult for you to
> identify whether or not the flaw exists in previous versions of an OS
> (and which ones), and whether or not the patch would fix it in those
> versions.

The left nav bar used for primary navigation from www.freebsd.org's
home page includes "Security", which takes you to
http://www.freebsd.org/security/.  The security page discusses the
security officers for the FreeBSD project, and then provides a list of
security advisories, sorted by operating system release.

> I think working closely with the OS vendors would enable them to
> provide this information to you.

You're confused: the FreeBSD project is an operating system vendor.

> Finally, you need to find a common method of identifying patches that
> are specific to each OS version, rather than the cryptic names you now
> give them; it certainly doesn't tell me anything at all, so I'm sure a
> much less sophisticated end user would be even more confused.

The list looks like this:

"Advisories are always signed using the FreeBSD Security Officer PGP
key and are archived, along with their associated patches, at our FTP
CERT repository. At the time of this writing, the following advisories
are currently available (note that this list may be a few days out of
date - for the very latest advisories please check the FTP site):

	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:15.openssh.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:18.openssl.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:17.procfs.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:16.filedesc.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:14.arp.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:13.sendmail.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:11.sendmail.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:10.ibcs2.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:09.signal.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:08.realpath.asc

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE released.
	• 	FreeBSD-SN-03:02.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SN-03:01.asc

FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE released.
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:07.sendmail.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:06.openssl.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:05.xdr.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:04.sendmail.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:03.syncookies.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:02.openssl.asc
	• 	FreeBSD-SA-03:01.cvs.asc
[ ... ]"

Is it hard to determine that the security advisiories deal with
OpenSSH, OpenSSL, /procfs, ...sendmail several times, etc?

> When can these changes be made?

If you have specific changes that you believe would help, submit them
as a PR or post them for us to review.

--
-Chuck