Does XML Docbook work with the /usr/doc makefiles?

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Fri Nov 7 18:42:55 UTC 2003

I'm trying to write documentation (not directly related to FreeBSD) and
would like to take advantage of the very efficient setup the
documentation project has.  I've installed the docproj port and the
/usr/doc source and can build all the existing documentation fine.

My documents are using DocBook 4.2 (the stock one), which the docproj
port only installs as an XML DTD.  Which is fine, since I would prefer
to use XML over SGML since that appears to be the direction DocBook is
going.  I have my Makefile set up as:

DOC_PREFIX = /usr/doc
DOC = book
DOCBOOKSUFFIX = .xml
SRCS = book.xml \
       part1/magnetism.xml part1/energy.xml part1/matter.xml \
       part1/emf.xml part1/conservation.xml \
       part2/acdc.xml \
       biblio/biblio.xml
STYLESHEET_TYPE = xsl
FORMATS = html html-split

.include "/usr/doc/share/mk/doc.project.mk"

My reading through doc.docbook.mk seems to indicate this should work.
By setting the stylesheet type to xsl, the makefile automatically
selects ${DOC}.xml as the source and the xsltproc utilities.  But I get:

Graph cycles through book.xml

and make dies.

Is this a known issue, and if so, is it something you would like fixed?
I'm more than willing to try and track down any problem but I don't want
to duplicate or waste effort :)

--Mike