Suggestions for HARDWARE.TXT

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Fri May 30 15:00:52 UTC 2003

If memory serves me right, Adrian Colley wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:50:11AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > There's no USB 2.0 support in 4.8-RELEASE, so does this host controller
> > attach with one of the other USB controller drivers?  If so, which one?
>
> Yes.  From /var/run/dmesg.boot:
> ohci0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> mem 0xfedff000-0xfedfffff irq 9 at devic
> e 14.0 on pci0
> usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> ohci1: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> mem 0xfedfe000-0xfedfefff irq 11 at devi
> ce 14.1 on pci0
> usb1: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb1: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> uhub1: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub1: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
> pci0: <USB controller> at 14.2 irq 11

OK, that's perfect, thanks.

> uhub1 refers to the single USB connector on the other end of the
> card (inside the machine) -- I'm not sure what the manufacturers
> think it's for.

<speculation>
  Maybe it's for the situation where you have a case with a built-in
  USB port (or ports) but the motherboard doesn't have on-board USB?
</speculation>

> > Any idea if this device works with CURRENT also?
>
> I don't have a sufficiently current -CURRENT to immediately try it out.
> 5.0-RELEASE is the closest I have until I go for another cvsup run, and
> it behaves as 4.8 does above.  I'll send an update when I get -current.

Actually, if it worked on 5.0-RELEASE, that's probably close enough.
It'd be interesting to see at some point if 5.1-RELEASE probes the card
as a USB 2.0 device (it should).

OK.  I'm probably going to defer this until after 5.1-RELEASE.  (I'm
trying to reduce the churn in the release documentation because this
creates last-minute work for the translation teams.)  I can do this
anytime after the release though.  If you don't see this go in within a
week or two after the release, can you send me a ping?  (Alternatively,
file a doc PR and send me the number.)

Thanks!

Bruce.