Security: HOW-TO or Handbook?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Mon May 26 12:20:29 UTC 2003

On 2003.05.25 21:29:30 -0400, Brian Minard wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 10:04:18PM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>  > Which HOW-TO are you refering to?  You can find all the "official"
>  > FreeBSD documentation on http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html .
>
> This HOW-TO is referenced by an href in www/en/security/security.sgml
> and it shows up on www.freebsd.org/security/security.html.  I don't
> see it on the docs page you suggested, or anywhere else in the docs
> CVS archive.

I had actually never seen that howto.  It appears as though that howto
hasn't been updated for some time. e.g. from the TODO in the howto
'Incorporate 3.0 additions such as ipf, etc.' and copyright 1995-1998.

> If I have HOW-TO like changes based upon security(7) that I'd like
> to submit, what's the appropriate document to patch (this HOW-TO
> or the security chapter in the handbook).

The security chapter in the handbook defiantly, since that is the
"officially" maintained documentation.

--
Simon L. Nielsen