doc build with .OBJDIR

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sat May 24 08:57:39 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:32:45PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> I see 2 big problems with your patch:
>
> - Images are built many times
> - Images are built in each doc dirs instead of doc/share/images
>
> So a waste of CPU time, a waste of disk space.
> For example each localized version of the Handbook (using images) will
> eats about 100MB just for images build.

In fact I'm not really right on that point: the 100MB is in the PDF/PS
format case which needs the images to be in the localdir, it would be
very difficult to deal with links in the generated .tex file.
For the others formats, HTML for example, in your implementation the
images are copied many times in the doc tree (each time a doc needs the
image) which is, as I said in my previous mail, a space eater.

Well, nothing is easy, our .mk files are very "hairy" cause of multiples
add-ons etc.  All the thing should be rewritten from the beginning, but
who would be enough "crazy" to take that task? :))

Marc