docs/52547: [patch] Cleanup of laptop article

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri May 23 23:02:32 UTC 2003

On 2003-05-23 22:51, Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:
>On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 02:06:57PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:

>>> Hmm, from following the this mailling list I got the impression that the
>>> section id tags was a good idea on all books/articles, since it makes
>>> sensible filenames when doing html-split output ?
>>
>> I'm going to agree with ceri (and keramida?) about this.  Personally,
>> I think using id attributes in articles is a Good Thing™.
>
> I think for a short article, id attributes could be in some ways
> useless since it's more annoying to read the html-split than the plain
> one... :)

They're only useful if the article contains a "table of contents" near
the top, or other parts of our docs want to refer to parts of the
article.  Then the links will be more sensible if we *do* use id=""
keywords.  For instance, this is why I recently added id="" parts to all
the <section> elements of the pr-guidelines article.

Having those id keywords there also has another advantage.  People who
link to the FreeBSD.org docs collection from external sites won't be
surprised after a while to find that all their links point to the wrong
and incomprehensible URI http://www.freebsd.org/.../lala.html#AE987623.

For an article that doesn't contain a TOC, I agree with Marc though.

Just my two eurocents...

- Giorgos