Application and command names in <title> elements

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 19 19:38:07 UTC 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:22:55 +0100
Ceri Davies <ceri at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I've been taking a high level look at getting all the <title> elements in
> the handbook ready for the 3rd edition (well, glimpse has been doing all
> the hard work so far), and I'm very tempted to religiously wrap all application
> and command names in the appropriate markup.
>
> Would anyone care to talk me out of it?

I'd like to chime in here if you do not mind.  While I was thinking
about this just last night, a question arose as to which is more appropriate:
<command> or manual page entities.

<command>, and &man.REF;, to me, are ambiguous.  For instance, we can wrap
the following in either command or &man entities:

By using the &man.ssh.1; utility for remote network connections, you reduce
the risk of password theft.

By using the <command>ssh</command> utility for remote network connections,
you reduce the risk of password theft.

Perhaps we should standardize this some way.  We have the screen for examples.
Perhaps for commands where we do not need the screen tag, we can use the
markup:

Use <command>cvsup -g -L 2 src</command> to remove the graphic dependency on
X11.

Then we can use screen for, say, a series of commands which generate output.
There seems to be mixed usage of the command and manual page entities.
My attempt here was merely to keep it one way, or the other.  Perhaps I'm
thinking too much...

--
Tom Rhodes