.Xr references to ports in man pages

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Fri May 2 21:53:00 UTC 2003

On 2003.04.29 01:32:35 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:33:17 +0300
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:29:15PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > >
> > > So, are we going to work on this?
> > >
> > We already do.  The only thing I miss is how people would like
> > it to be rendered, and I just need more opinions (more voices).
> > I hoped that ports@ and doc@ (not necessarily committers)
> > developers would suggest something, or agree on the proposed
> > one.
>
> With every hat I can fit on my head (wow, don't I look funny) I

You should make a picture of that ;-)

> want to say we should do it in a similar fasion to how we do it
> in the doc project.  Use things like:
>
> .Xr net/cvsup

I would guess (not sure) that it is somewhat harder to parse this in
groff, and check the category, compared to seperating port category and
name with a space since that is the way Ruslan originally did it.

> and render accordingly.  Then we can parse the the MOVED file in
> the ports collection and boom.  While it sounds much simpler than
> doing, I think it should be moved forward.  :)

Parsing of man pages is actually very straight forward so actually it is
simple - as long as it doesn't happen run time but rather in some kind
of tinderbox (and IMO there is no reason to do these check runtime).

--
Simon L. Nielsen