Mini-HEADSUP: Version entities changed

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 3 20:05:26 UTC 2003

Hi gang--

As a part of the release process, I've bumped the version numbers
documenting the "current version" numbers for the doc set.  As of the
next rebuild of the doc set for the Web site, anywhere that refers to
the "current version" of FreeBSD will mention "5.1" and "4.8".

As many of you are aware, 5.1-RELEASE is still waiting for src/
tagging and final builds, but we needed to make this change in order
to get current information into the doc set that will go out with the
release.  (Yet another "chicken and egg" problem.)

We might get some queries from users as to why the Handbook and FAQ
say that 5.1 is current when it's really not, so be prepared.

This BTW is no different from any other release we've done, and I've
tried really hard to reduce the time where users can get confused by
this.  I'm open to suggestions (preferably post-release) as to how we
can eliminate this altogether.  One possibility is to temporarily turn
off builds of the doc set for the Web site during the last few days of
the release cycle.  This makes the docs on the Web site out of date
but hopefully just for a short time.

Thanks,

Bruce.