Suggestions for HARDWARE.TXT

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Mon Jun 2 17:09:46 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:00:50AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>>> Any idea if this device works with CURRENT also?
>> I don't have a sufficiently current -CURRENT to immediately try it out.
>> 5.0-RELEASE is the closest I have until I go for another cvsup run, and
>> it behaves as 4.8 does above.  I'll send an update when I get -current.
> Actually, if it worked on 5.0-RELEASE, that's probably close enough.
> It'd be interesting to see at some point if 5.1-RELEASE probes the card
> as a USB 2.0 device (it should).

I just tried it with -current (cvsupped 2003-05-31, 5.1-BETA).  Once the
kernel is compiled with `device ehci', the verbose boot messages include
these:

ehci0: <NEC uPD 720100 USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xfedfdc00-0xfedfdcff irq 11 at device 14.2 on pci0
ehci_pci_attach: companion usb0
ehci_pci_attach: companion usb1
usb2: EHCI version 1.0
usb2: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0,usb1
usb2: <NEC uPD 720100 USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
usb2: USB revision 2.0
uhub2: NEC EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1

So it looks like it does indeed treat it as a USB 2.0 device.  However,
the stock GENERIC kernel doesn't have ehci included, and so it attaches
only the USB-1.0 ohci0 driver.

> OK.  I'm probably going to defer this until after 5.1-RELEASE.  (I'm
> trying to reduce the churn in the release documentation because this
> creates last-minute work for the translation teams.)  I can do this
> anytime after the release though.  If you don't see this go in within a
> week or two after the release, can you send me a ping?  (Alternatively,
> file a doc PR and send me the number.)

OK.

 --Adrian.