Documenting USB scanning in FreeBSD with SANE

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 1 15:24:52 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 06:15:00PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>> As you can see, there are some problems with USB scanning still. This
>> was tested on a 4.7-stable system. The problems are related to PRs
>> kern/32652 and ports/32653, which are assigned to joe. I've asked him
>> many times about those two, still no solution. I had scanning working
>> some months back, I'll have to rework the patches I have been using and
>> see how it goes. But I won't be able to do that until I have returned
>> from LISA on november 11th.
>>
>> (My scanner is an Agfa Snapscan 1212U.)
> Thanks a lot!
> Maybe I will wait a bit before writing the section, that USB problem is
> annoying.

USB scanning works nicely nowadays. Would you like to add documentation
to it? What I do do scan from the command line with SANE is:

a) Fetch (Agfa specific step!) 1212U_2.bin - firmware for my scanner.

b) Change configuration in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf:

firmware /root/1212U_2.bin

# For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
/dev/uscanner0 bus=usb

And then I can do:

# scanimage -L
device `snapscan:/dev/uscanner0' is a AGFA SNAPSCAN 1212U_2 flatbed
scanner

Note that sane-find-scanner isn't as successful:

# sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0

I'm using:

# uname -a
FreeBSD neta 4.8-STABLE-20030510-JPSNAP FreeBSD
4.8-STABLE-20030510-JPSNAP #0: Sat May 10 01:32:17 GMT 2003
root at tora.jp.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

If I build sane-frontends with WITH_GIMP set, I can also scan directly
from gimp without having to configure anything.

If anyone needs me for testing USB scanning things, let me know..

Cheers,

--
Anders.