docs/54738: Remove references to branches/ section of FTP site

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jul 22 16:50:23 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/54738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To: Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU>, freebsd-doc at FreeBSD.org,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/54738: Remove references to branches/ section of FTP site
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:45:33 -0400

 On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:35:53PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

 > But what about ftp://ftp.jp.FreeBSD.org/ ?  They will also stop to
 > provide direct access to -CURRENT/-STABLE source via FTP?

 That was the plan, they get it from ftp-master I believe.

 > Does it mean that CVSweb will be the only way to get some
 > -CURRENT/-STABLE source files?

 Yes.  We thought that's a better way to get them, it's more functional
 and doesn't load up the mirror system with tons of small files that
 change fairly often.

 This is probably still open to discussion if it's a big problem.
 Basically our theory was that the stuff on the FTP site had been
 useful before CVSweb came along but now that it's available the
 load of carrying the branches/ stuff through the mirror system
 isn't worth it.  If the theory is wrong we might be able to come
 up with some sort of alternative.

 --
 						Ken Smith
 - From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu