man page: tcpdump option

manee radwasteus at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 08:15:08 UTC 2003

hi sirs,

apologize me if i posted to the wrong list.

here is my machine
bank@/tmp# uname -a
FreeBSD bank.thai-aec.org 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD
4.8-STABLE #2: Sun Jun  1 18:59:28 ICT 2003
root at bank.thai-aec.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Bank  i386
bank@/tmp#

i read tcpdump man page and find that the b option
written in description is conflicted to synopsis.
please have a look from man page below

NAME
       tcpdump - dump traffic on a network

SYNOPSIS
       tcpdump [ -adeflnNOpqRStuvxX ] [ -c count ]
               [ -C file_size ] [ -F file ]
               [ -i interface ] [ -m module ] [ -r
file ]
               [ -s snaplen ] [ -T type ] [ -w file ]
               [ -E algo:secret ] [ expression ]

DESCRIPTION
       Tcpdump  prints  out the headers of packets on
a network interface that
       match the boolean expression.  It can also be
run  with  the  -w  flag,
       which  causes  it to save the packet data to a
file for later analysis,
       and/or with the -b flag, which causes it to
read from  a  saved  packet

       file  rather  than  to  read  packets from a
network interface.

bank@/tmp#

i try -b file and got error but -r file give me a good
result.

=====
ÁÒ¹Õ
http://www.thai-aec.org