Review request for rescue.7

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 12 16:11:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:18:35 +0200
"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at nitro.dk> wrote:

> [...]
> .\" All rights reserved.
> .\"
> .\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> .\" modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> .\" are met:
> .\" 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> .\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> .\" 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> .\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> .\"    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> .\"
> .\" THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND
> .\" ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
> .\" IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> .\" ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE
> .\" FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
> .\" DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
> .\" OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
> .\" HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> .\" LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
> .\" OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
> .\" SUCH DAMAGE.
> .\"
> .\" $FreeBSD: src/share/man/man7/rescue.7,v 1.1.1000.8 2003/07/10 23:17:28 simonln Exp $
> .\"
> .Dd July 2, 2003
> .Os
> .Dt RESCUE 7
> .Sh NAME
> .Nm rescue
> .Nd Rescue utilities in
> .Pa /rescue
> .Sh DESCRIPTION
> The
> .Pa /rescue
> directory contains a collection of common utilities intended for use
> in recovering a badly damaged system.
> With the transition to a dynamically-linked root beginning with
> .Fx 5.2 ,
> there is a real possibility that the standard tools in
> .Pa /bin
> and
> .Pa /sbin
> may become non-functional due to a failed upgrade or a disk error.
> The tools in
> .Pa /rescue
> are statically linked and should therefore be more resistant to
> damage.
> However, being statically linked, the tools in
> .Pa /rescue
> are also less functional than the standard utilities.
> In particular, they do not have full use of the locale,
> .Xr pam 3 ,
> and nsswitch libraries.
> .Pp
> If your system fails to boot, and it shows a prompt like:

s/like/similar/  or "shows the following prompt"

> .Pp
> .Dl Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> .Pp
> the first thing to try running is the standard shell,
> .Pa /bin/sh .
> If that fails, try running
> .Pa /rescue/sh ,
> the rescue shell.

"which is the rescue shell"?

> To repair the system, the root partition must first be remounted
> read-write.
> This can be done with the following
> .Xr mount 8
> command:
> .Pp
> .Dl # /rescue/mount -uw /
> .Pp
> The next step is to double-check the contents of
> .Pa /bin ,
> .Pa /sbin ,
> and
> .Pa /lib ,
> possibly mounting a
> .Fx
> rescue CD-ROM (e.g.

IIRC, its called the "Live Filesystem CD"

> .Li disc2
> of the officially released
> .Fx
> ISO images) and copying files from there.
> Once it is possible to successfully run
> .Pa /bin/sh ,
> .Pa /bin/ls ,
> and other standard utilities, try rebooting back into the standard
> system.
> .Pp

Hope this helps.  I was in the process of collecting some of my
notes from 'fixing' my laptop after something went wrong, and
writing an in depth trouble shooting guide covering the live
filesystem CD and other things.  Although I am really lacking
in time right now.

--
Tom Rhodes