hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

monet at arthur.avalon.net monet at arthur.avalon.net
Wed Jul 9 19:25:49 UTC 2003

On the page http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/i386/proc.html

it states:

    The use of ACPI causes instabilities on some machines and it may be
necessary to disable
    the ACPI driver, which is normally loaded via a kernel module. This may
be accomplished by
    adding the following line to /boot/device.hints:

    hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

But a developer friend of mine insists the line should read

    hint.acpi.0.disable="1"

without a "d"

And truth be told, it doesn't matter wether EITHER of these lines are in
the device.hints file.   ACPI works or it doesn't, randomly, regardless of
any changes I make.

My system has an AMBIOS ( release "9/13/2002 s") if that helps.  I'd have
used send-pr, but i can't even get this system to see a floppy, much less
recognize my modem.  And it seemed like a documentation problem, too.

Thanks for all your hard work,

-dls