docs/60679: pthreads documentation does not describe "attr"

Alfred Perlstein bright at elvis.mu.org
Mon Dec 29 06:00:43 UTC 2003

>Number:         60679
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       pthreads documentation does not describe "attr"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD elvis.mu.org 4.9-MUORG-20031210 FreeBSD 4.9-MUORG-20031210 #4: Fri Dec 12 14:16:14 PST 2003 root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/h0h0magic i386

The pthreads manpages do not describe the nor link properly
to the pages describing attrs:
example:
 PTHREAD_MUTEX_INIT(3) does not xref PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR(3)
also:
 PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR(3) describes several functions:
    pthread_mutexattr_setprotocol, pthread_mutexattr_settype, etc
    but does not explain what the values used for these functions do or imply.
The same deficiency exists for:
PTHREAD_COND_INIT(3) no xref to PTHREAD_CONDATTR(3)
PTHREAD_CONDATTR(3) lacks definitions

PTHREAD_CREATE(3) has no xref to PTHREAD_ATTR(3)
PTHREAD_ATTR(3) lacks definitions.

>How-To-Repeat:
	man pthread...
>Fix:
	add more docco?  UTSL?
	I may get to this eventually, but I'm hoping some brave and
helpful sole will get to it first.