Allocating Disk Space - double-boot

RSB rsb at adsbanners.com
Tue Dec 16 01:33:16 UTC 2003

20031215  Las Vegas Nevada 89102 USA
rsb at adsbanners.com

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

This was the most helpful chapter yet in trying to load FreeBSD on a Windows
machine. I've backed out many times (no worries - it's a scratch machine
with no data and new install of WIN98SE O/S) trying to figure out the piece
missing from SAMS 'Teach Yourself FreeBSD in 24 Hours' even tho the authors
try to address double-boot. Figure 2-18 fairly looks like the screen that I
get tho this machine has much smaller, 2.4GB HDD.

After trying to slice the 'unused' portion (30Kb) which didn't make any
sense but that's what the book and sysinstall prompts seem to say, I think I
must first Delete the FAT partition and then slice it up (I will allow GB
for FreeBSD) and continue.

My concern is that while the Disk Label Editor reports the 1GB that I have
designated for FreeBSD correctly, the remaining 1.4GB is now reported as
'unused' instead of 'FAT'. The book says that I can make a new 'slice' for
BSD w/o blowing away my Windows O/S.

QUESTION: Will the resulting 1.4GB slice that is reported as 'unused' still
contain my Windows O/S?

This chapter also points out that if I want to use the included Boot Manger
on a system such as the one that I have where I intend to install BSD on my
slave, backup HDD (not a mirror) then I must install the Boot Manager on
both HDDs, which solves more confusion that I experienced when I first tried
to just shove ahead and do it straight-away without practising a double-boot
install on a scratch machine.

Thank you --rs

~+