Problems with mirrors.xml and advisories.xml

Martin Horcicka horcicka at freebsd.cz
Mon Dec 15 17:11:13 UTC 2003

Hiroki Sato (2003-12-16 01:15 +0900):

> Martin Horcicka <horcicka at freebsd.cz> wrote
>   in <20031215154521.O38847 at www.freebsd.cz>:
>
> horcicka> 1. I can't find any way how to sort the list of web mirrors in the pop-up menu
> horcicka> on the home page using any other ordering than English. I guess the problem is
> horcicka> in the template html-index-mirrors-options-list defined in
> horcicka> www/share/sgml/includes.misc.xsl but I have no idea how to solve it.
>
>  The menu entries will be sorted in alphabetical order of *translated*
>  country name.  Didn't it work properly?  If you use transtable but
>  the sort order is wrong, please show me the results (and the changes
>  you added).  At least I know it works fine for www/ja.
>
>  Or, is non-alphabetical order needed?

Yes, the menu entries are sorted in alphabetical order of translated country
names but the sort ordering seems to be English - e.g. all non-English
characters are sorted after the English ones. What I want is Czech sort
ordering. I've exported the doc and www trees and added doc/cs_CZ.ISO8859-2
and www/cs (which are not in the official cvs repository yet) to:

http://www.freebsd.cz/~horcicka/tmp/

> horcicka> 2. Database advisories.xml was moved from www/en/security to www/share/sgml
> horcicka> but it contains language dependent data (month names) in English and there is
> horcicka> no system for their translation to other languages. (In fact, it was only
> horcicka> copied to www/share/sgml because it still exists in www/en/security but has
> horcicka> obsolete content.) The result is e.g. English date above recent advisories on
> horcicka> the Japanese home page.
>
>  Yes, it is a common problem in news.xml, press.xml,
>  and advisories.xml.  While I am considering several kinds
>  of approach to it, is it better to use the figure instead of
>  the name in all of the languages?  In Japan people do not usually
>  use month names, so I am wondering it is reasonable.
>
>  We can put the figures themselves in .xml files, or use transtable to
>  translate the English month names, or put the figures in .xml files
>  and use transtable to translate them into the localized month names.

In my opinion, month numbers instead of month names in the shared files would
be much easier to deal with in translations. And while we are talking about
news.xml and press.xml as well - the month names in URIs are not very good
idea as it is not very clean for languages that use characters which are not
allowed in URIs (as Czech).

Martin