Documentation of major changes to the ports collection

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 3 12:54:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:43:53PM +0100, Erwin Lansing wrote:
> Hi Doc!
>
> As mentioned on -developers, I've taken it upon me to try and see if we,
> the ports people, can create a document not much unlike the Release
> Notes from our src brothers. Thoughts so far are that it should be some
> kind of combination of /usr/src/UPDATING and relnotes, where both major
> changes to major ports (ie. GNOME) can be announced to users and major
> changes to ports infrastructure (ie. bsd.port.mk) can get more attention
> of committers.
>
> The first thing to decide would be which form this document should be
> in. My first thought would be an article so we both have an online and
> an offline version. One disadvantage of this would be that the offline
> version would not be updating along with an update of the ports
> collection via cvsup.

[...]

Release Notes live in src/, so it should be the same for your doc, i.e.
in ports/, maybe in ports/Template or ports/Tools, or a specific directory.
And something inside ports/ will prevent need of various repo access and
could be updated via a cvsup, etc.

Marc