Proposed addition to the mail section of the handbook

Josef El-Rayes j.el-rayes at daemon.li
Mon Dec 1 22:17:31 UTC 2003

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> In all seriousness, I'm not totally confident with docbook
> yet, so suggestions
> on all levels are appreciated.  (at least I got make to
> stop complaining ;)

hy, i had a look at your patch and i have following suggestions:

line 27: &man.send-pr.1; which creates a link to the
send-pr manualpage.

line 45: the dot should not be inside the apostrophes.

line 48: Execute the following commands as root. <- shouldn't
this end with ':' instead of '.'?

line 47+48: mark ssmtp port up with
<filename role="package">mail/ssmtp</filename>

line 51: i think it is common practice in the handbook
to propose "make install clean" for installations.

line 53: i would markup ssmtp with application tag

line 26+32: why is there a different identing? as far
as i can see, both lines are on same level.

line 56-60: what about indenting here?

line 71: s/ssmpt/ssmtp

line 72: it is "manpage" not "man page".

in my opinion your patch is too long. i think the same
effect could be achieved by 30% of the lines. you do not
need to do such intense arguing why to use.
for me 3 lines, a note that there is a port, that allows
users to avoid sendmail, when they want to use send-pr
would suffice.

i also think that installing & configuring ssmtp is a trivial task,
is there really a need to donate a whole page to this?

what about something like this:

<note><para>If you just want to pass your email to your isp's mail relay,
  and want to avoid installing a mail transfer agent, try <filename
  role="package">mail/ssmtp</filename>, which is a easy to set up
  program, that fulfills this task.</para></note>.

dont feel offended, this is just my view.

-josef