website related questions

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 24 22:04:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:12:21PM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> 1) I know there is www mailing list, but I also see a lot of www related
> talk here at doc mailing list. Where should I post questions,
> suggestions and patches about website infrastructure (markup, Makefiles
> etc)?

Website stuff belongs on www@, but I usually submit stuff to both, as
there seems to be a very small number of doc committers active on www@
(which shouldn't be the case).

> 2) What about tidy errors/warning, both on web and in doc? Is there any
> concern on fixing them? Those Error (ignored) messages are disturbing :)
> I'm willing to fix them.

I have occassionally wondered about those, but have always assumed that
these were due to validation errors (for which, see #3).  If they are for
other reasons, they are probably worth fixing.

> 3) Website validity (according to W3 Validator). Even our homepage now
> fails to validate. Should I submit fixes, as PRs maybe?

I worked on this some time ago, but the work was greeted with some
indifference.  See the posting at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-doc&m=104955591810574&w=2 for
some vague details, although I am sure I have posted other patches
since then.

Let us know what form your patches would take, and we'll take it from
there.  Personally, I think that having webpages that validate should be
an important goal, and also having pages that are Bobby compliant should be
a long term goal (http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp).  This
is something that I have toyed with in a local tree, although the patches are
far from anything other than concept.

Ceri
--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.