docs/55122: Handbook should mention that gdbe can't be used with vinum volumes

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Thu Aug 14 10:45:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:17:36PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 August 2003 at 10:16:54 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> >> My concern is that this would require another modification, another
> >> PR.  If we did this for every transient incompatibility in -CURRENT,
> >> we wouldn't have time for anything else.  It shouldn't be put in the
> >> documentation.
> >
> > As a user trying to get it working, I'd be very happy to see it in the
> > documentation.  It *should* be there, just the same as we have BUGS sections
> > in manpages.
>
> No.  If you're using -CURRENT, you should be subscribed to
> FreeBSD-CURRENT.  It's been discussed there.

Greg, by this argument, the gdbe section should be taken out of the handbook,
and all the work that the doc team have been doing over the last few months
to make sure that we're in some kind of shape to cutover from 4-STABLE to
5-STABLE should go too.  I'll remind you that having documentation for gdbe
in the handbook was one of the desired features for 5.0-RELEASE.  Your argument
that -CURRENT shouldn't be documented in the handbook simply doesn't wash.  Are
we to be expected to suddenly have a bunch of 5.X specific documentation patches
ready for when re@ sort the branches out, and then commit them all overnight?
It can't be done.

> > When it does work, I'm sure that we'll notice.
>
> No.  Once things like this get entrenched, they live for ever.  People
> are still talking about the USL/BSD wars of ten years ago.

I disagree.  When it does work, we'll notice for one of two reasons, and
cvs ci the note away.  I don't see the relevance of USL/BSD at all.

I'm really, desperately, trying not to believe that we are having this
discussion because you wrote vinum, but I'm finding that harder and harder.

Ceri
--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.