Hardware notes

Bruce A. Mah bmah at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 8 23:22:15 UTC 2003

If memory serves me right, Tom Rhodes wrote:

[Bruce wants to eviscerate the hardware notes]

> My thoughts on this, which have been kicked around over and over again
> in my mind, are similar.  My idea was:
>
> List class
>   List description (small)
>     Tell user to review said manual page.
>       Plea to developers/manual page authors to list supported devices
>       in the appropriate manual page.
>
> This would perhaps make it easier for users to figure out if their
> devices are supported or not.

I'm presuming we don't have to "talk to the users" for every single
device.  Putting that information up front is probably sufficient.

> > A disadvantage is that if someone has a random device (where they don't
> > know anything about it other than its name), it's not immediately
> > obvious what driver would support it.  Perhaps more descriptive
> > annotations would help here.
>
> Where I put (small) for the description, you could list that:
>
> USB Devices
>   umass(4)
>     Driver for USB mass storage devices, zip drives, USB hard drives, etc.
>
> Or perhaps this could be the other way around:
>
> USB Devices:
>   Mass storage, zip drives, USB hard drives, etc.
>     See the umass(4) manual page for a complete description.

Either one of those.  Actually the existing format we have now *mostly*
works once you take out all of the <itemizedlist></itemizedlist>
thingeys.

> > Thoughts?
>
> See above, perhaps you and I are on a different wavelink but this
> sounds like a good idea which should be fleshed out.

I think we're closer than you think.  :-)

Bruce.