SGML tag to link to other sections?

Hiroki Sato hrs at eos.ocn.ne.jp
Tue Apr 29 19:31:27 UTC 2003

"Lucky Green" <shamrock at cypherpunks.to> wrote
  in <002201c30e80$bfbca580$6601a8c0 at VAIO650>:

shamrock> Thanks. I will use this xref if I can't find a tag that will make the
shamrock> words "Mandatory Access Control" the hyperlink. Any ideas?

 Hmmm, currently it is not possible.  If the <sect1> is defined
 with xreflabel attr like <sect1 id="mac" xreflabel="Mandatory Access Control">,
 the label appears as <a href="...">Mandatory Access Control</a>.
 Or if the <title> is defined with id attr like
 <sect1 id="mac">...<title id="mac-title">Mandatory Access Control
 (MAC)</title>, <xref linkend="mac" endterm="mac-title">
 is rendered as what you want.

 I think we can accept the latter as a new convention if doc
 writers want to use a section title as the hyperlink label.
 Or, do you think it is something that breaks consistency?