.Xr references to ports in man pages

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Tue Apr 29 15:57:08 UTC 2003

On 2003.04.28 23:29:15 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:32:27 +0300
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Not, it's not OK with others.  Writing a simple script that finds
> > all port references and checks this with the fresh ports/ tree is
> > not that hard.  I've been planning on setting the manpages tinder
> > box; adding this feature to it would be trivial.
> >

> So, are we going to work on this?  I've got a PR which I'll gladly work
> on which shows .Xr refs to ports manual pages.  I don't want to just
> remove the ref, yet I don't want it to stay there either.

Since nobody has objected to the idea of having ports references I don't
see why not.

The isue with categories or not can, as Ruslan noted, be handled by a
man page tinderbox so I don't think that is a real problem.

I understood on Ruslan that to add support for this it needs to be added
to the upstream GNU groff so I don't know how long time it would be
before port references could be used if it is decided that this is the
way to go.

--
Simon L. Nielsen