"PROGRAMLISTING", "TITLE" not permitted

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Apr 28 23:56:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Lucky Green wrote:

> I am seeing the following errors compiling a modified chapter.sgml file:
>
> 1)
> /usr/local/bin/jade:/usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks/chapter.sgml:2789:16:E:
> document type does not allow element "PROGRAMLISTING" here; assuming
> missing "FOOTNOTE" start-tag
>
> Lines 2789 - 2792 follow:
> 	<step>
> 	<title>Verify the operating system version</title>
>
> 	<para>&man.gbde.4; requires FreeBSD 5.0 or higher.</para>
> 	<programlisting>
> 	5.0-RELEASE
> 	</programlisting>
> 	</screen></step>

You can't do a <programlisting> inside a <screen>.  It makes sense; a
program listing is, well, a program listing (presumably printed), while
<screen> is used to show what screen output looks like.  I don't have my
files handy for the right way to do this, but you could do it this way:

<screen>5.0-RELEASE</screen>

Actually, I wonder if 5.0-RELEASE should also be wrapped with
<computeroutput> tags...