What are the FTP disk1, disk2, mini ISO images?

Gary W. Swearingen swear at attbi.com
Sat Apr 12 14:50:15 UTC 2003

A description of FTP files seems to be needed somewhere where it is
obvious to someone who is trying to download FreeBSD.

I've noticed this problem at least with respect to the ISO files
in *.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.8/ which I got to
after following the "Getting FreeBSD" link at "www.freebsd.org".
I see three ISO files and one MD5 file and seem have to guess which
to use and what to do with them.  I looked on the pages which I
clicked through from the home to find the FDP directory and saw
nothing about the files.  I also followed the "Release Information"
link and then the Release Notes and the Announcement.  And I searched
the Handbook and the *.TXT files on "disk1" for "disk1" and found
nothing about any of the files except the rather general directions
regarding installation from CD which do not mention disk1, disk2, or
mini.

A handy place for such info would be in a README file in each FTP
directory or in a higher-level directory.  The file
/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/README.TXT mentions the ISO files
generically, but says nothing about disk1, disk2, mini, or MD5.
If the FTP mirrors are the wrong place for it, then it would be
OK in the Handbook and/or Release Notes.