Chainsawing the "Mouse" section of the FAQ

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 10 14:16:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:09:43PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> "Michael W . Lucas" <mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org> writes:
> > Any comments?
>
> Sure.  Your considerable talents would be better spent on the FreeBSD
> Handbook.  The FAQ should be a delete-only document.  The sooner it rots
> away, the better.  It's upkeep involves a duplication of effort that is
> worse than useless, as it tends to force FreeBSD users to have to hunt
> for information in an extra place for information that is not
> necessarily any more helpful than what the Handbook (or an Article) has
> (or should have).  It's bad enough that the FDP has to duplicate so much
> of what xfree86.org has on mouse configuration, but that's given the
> existance and nature of "moused", I guess there's no alternative to
> that.

Hmm.

I quite like the idea of the FAQ merging in to the Handbook.

Each chapter starts with a "Synopsis" section -- there's no reason why
they couldn't end with a "FAQ" section.  If we wanted a separate FAQ
document, it could be generated by pulling out all the FAQ sections from
the Handbook.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)