XHTML and the website

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 6 23:21:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 16:03:07 -0700
"Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at freebsd.org> wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Ceri Davies wrote:
>
> > In August last year, a commit was made to change the website to XHTML, and
> > since then, all the documents built from SGML have been happily announcing
> > in their DOCTYPE declaration that they are XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
> > However, with the exception of the front page of the web site, they aren't;
> > none of them validate.
>
> I might note that all of the documents in our documentation set also
> claim to be XHTML.  I wonder about them?  If they're compliant, fixing
> *them* might be kind of hard since a lot of the XHTML is generated
> from the toolchain.

Generated from tidy using the flags we have.  Wonder what other options
we can use here.  :)

/me backs away

> Like Murray, the cost/benefit ratio is a little hazy to me, but I'd
> say as long as you're willing, and it doesn't break anything, go for
> it.

Well this was originally done for the purpose of working with a wide
variety of www browsers.  Thats the only reason I cared to do it in
the first place.  If its not helping, or there is no real change, then
we can just back it out and look at another solution.

--
Tom Rhodes