docs/50573: return values for res_query/res_search/res_mkquery undocumented

Ronald F.Guilmette rfg at monkeys.com
Thu Apr 3 19:50:08 UTC 2003

>Number:         50573
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       return values for res_query/res_search/res_mkquery undocumented
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD segfault.monkeys.com 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Sun Dec 22 23:04:36 PST 2002 rfg at segfault.monkeys.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/rfg20021222 i386

	The man page for res_query and res_search and res_mkquery fails to
	document the meaning and/or proper interpretation of the (int) values
	returned from these functions.

>How-To-Repeat:
	man 3 res_query

>Fix:
	The O'Reilly DNS and BIND book, Third Edition, documents the return
	values for rese_search and res_query on page 348, first paragraph.

	These two functions are documented (in that book) as returning -1
	in case of errors or else the size of the (successful) response
	packet.

	This information should be included also on the FreeBSD man page.

	I have no idea what a proper fix would be in the case of res_mkquery.
	i have no idea what this function is supposed to return.