Preparing an Oracle Database XE port/package -- any tips ?

Marcin Cieslak saper at system.pl
Sat Mar 8 13:33:20 UTC 2008

Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> Hi,

(dropping -isp)

>> During election observation mission in 2007 an Oracle XE installation
>> I've had (just for test) on my FreeBSD notebook saved my (election) day
>> and allowed me to analyze and verify election results - and this is a
>> Big Thing(tm).
>

> Well, this sort of stories really ought to be told and heard around. Have
> you considered writing a short story or even a news article on this topic (I
> guess there are good places where you could submit it) ?

This is not always easy. You need to observe state secrets of a host
country plus some special requirements in a highly political
environment. I will try my best anyway.

> Right. I will be extracting the RPM specs file to form the package
> installation script.
> I'm not sure whether the debian scripts have something better.

Go for install.sh on the
http://wiki.bsdportal.ru/doc:oraclexe_on_freebsd instead. Worked for me
like a charm. (The kernel patches mentioned in the article are already
incorporated).

--Marcin