Preparing an Oracle Database XE port/package -- any tips ?

Adrian Penisoara ady at ady.ro
Fri Mar 7 15:31:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Rink Springer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 04:36:56PM +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> >>   After having to deploy an Oracle Database XE [1] installation (with
> Linux
> >> 32bit binaries from the official RPM package) on a production FreeBSD
> >> 6.2machine I realized it would be very much feasible to produce a
> >> FreeBSD
> >> port/package for it.
> >>   I would like to know whether similar efforts have been undergoing and
> >> whether people came up with some tips & tricks on this.
> >
> > We run Oracle XE on two FreeBSD 6.3 machines at work - we've just
> > manually set it up, but are very interested in a port of it. We did
> > the same as you basically - just uncompress it and move the files in
> > place.
>
> Could any of you write a short HOWTO article, either for the "official"
> articles section or for the wiki (or both...)?

Let's not forget about the Oracle 8i installation section in the FreeBSD
Handbook [1] which could surely benefit from updating (8i is desupported
since a ling time). I would be glad to help (re)writing such stuff, as time
permits.

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-oracle.html

Regards,