CvsWeb code review tool

Ximon Eighteen ximon.eighteen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:26:07 PST 2008

Hi,

At the company I work for we use CVS and CvsWeb. I wrote a very
basicPython script to aid in performing code reviews which has proven
hugely popular.

The script is run from the desktop of a developer. It submits the
CvsWeb search form to identify commits that included a certain commit
string (in our case an internal ticket number) and then produces an
HTML report on all the files changed for that ticket, provides HTML
links to the diff pages in CvsWeb for each revision, also provides
inline the unified diff, and lastly but most usefully for us it also
provides links which spawn a local diff tool, e.g. WinDiff or
WinMerge. It does the latter by downloading all the revisions affected
to a temporary location.

The script is not specific to my company, and it strikes me that it
might be of use to others. I took a quick look at the CvsWeb home page
but didn't see any references to user contributed resources. A quick
Google also t turned up nothing.

My question is: would others be interested in this, and where would be
the best place to post it? I can of course simply host it on my own
website, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Cheers,

Ximon Eighteen