cvsweb and binary files: cvs search tool

Paul Gelderblom (ptok) paulg.xlbspam at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 1 12:12:39 PST 2004

Okay, here we go:

Attached find my Cvs Search tool. Copyleft I suppose, as long as due credits
are given on use.
For now, I just include the sources with this mail as a tarball. (does that
work on a mailing list?)
At some point, I will try to find a more permanent home for it.

It  integrates with cvsweb (both ways: from cvsweb you can link to the
search functionality, allowing searches starting in a certain directory, and
from the search you get linked to the file in cvsweb)

It also does:
- content searches in RCS files or the latest revision (look for 'readme.*'
files containing 'Known Bug')
- regexes or just strings for the content match;
- filename selection using wildcards  patterns (*.cpp) or regexes
- case sensitivity or not for both match types
- selection based on edit status (watch on/off ;  edited files)
- selection based on file type (-kb -> binary )
and combinations of the above.

However:
- Due to the nature of it (blunt filesytem search) , it is a resource eater.
Maintainers on public repositories may not want it installed!
- I did not include taint checking (have only friendly users :-). That may
even be complex, due to the user-specified regexes.

Paul Gelderblom