FYI: WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD= problem for some files? [Ignore recent test: -dirty vs. checked-in usage difference]
marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 20:38:32 UTC 2021
[The first buidlworld is still in process. So while waiting . . .]
On 2021-May-4, at 10:31, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I probably know why the huge count of differences this time
> unlike the original report . . .
> Previously I built based on a checked-in branch as part of
> my experimenting. This time it was in a -dirty form (not
> checked in), again as part of my experimental exploration.
> WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD= makes a distinction between these
> if I remember right: (partially?) disabling itself for
> -dirty style.
> To reproduce the original style of test I need to create
> a branch with my few patches checked in and do the
> buildworlds from that branch.
> This will, of course, take a while.
> Sorry for the noise.
I've confirmed some of the details of the large number of
files with difference while waiting for the 1st buildworld :
The 4 bytes at the end of the .gnu_debuglink section
that are ending up different are the checksum for the
.debug file. The .debug files have differences such as:
│ - <1a> DW_AT_comp_dir : (indirect string) /usr/obj/BUILDs/13_0R-CA72-nodbg-clang-alt/usr/13_0R-src/arm64.aarch64/lib/csu/aarch64
│ + <1a> DW_AT_comp_dir : (indirect string) /usr/obj/BUILDs/13_0R-CA72-nodbg-clang/usr/13_0R-src/arm64.aarch64/lib/csu/aarch64
So I need to build, snapshot (in case need
to reference), install, clean-out, build,
install elsewhere, compare. (Or analogous
that uses the same build base-path for both
installs despite separate buildworld's.)
This is separate from any potential -dirty
vs. checked-in handling variation by
My process that produced the original armv7
report happened to do that before I accidentally
discovered the presence of the few files with
differences. My new experiments were different
and I'd not though of needing to vary the
procedure to get you the right evidence.
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went
away in early 2018-Mar)
More information about the freebsd-current