Preparing ZFS drives

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 12 18:38:37 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM joe mcguckin <joe at via.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I want to buy some 16TB drives and raid them up
>
> How should I label and prepare the drives for ZFS?  Someone ought to write
> a ‘cookbook’ on that!
>
> Do I need to start the volume on a particular sector boundary?
>
> Are the 4096 byte sector drives usable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> Joe McGuckin
> ViaNet Communications
>
> joe at via.net
> 650-207-0372 cell
> 650-213-1302 office
> 650-969-2124 fax

If you aren't going to boot from them, and you aren't using anything fancy
like multipath JBODs, then you don't need to do anything at all.  Just use
the raw disks.  And you don't need to worry about the sector size, unless
you're planning to replace 512B disks with 4KB disks at some future date.
-Alan