HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jan 4 20:43:54 UTC 2021

--------
John-Mark Gurney writes:

> SHAttered[1] (2017) created two valid PDF documents which had the same
> SHA-1 hash.  The issue was that they were able to choose the entire
> document.

Shattered is less impressive when you take into account that you
can stuff as much much garbage into a PDF file as you need, without
affecting the files normal function.

Compact data formats, formats which leave no wiggle-room and do not
offer extension-space for "attic-junk", are much harder to produce
*meaningful* collisions for.

(I take no opinion in where git is on that spectrum.)

This is why I am very sceptical of the recent fashion of "GREASING"
which the TLS WG have invented:  To me that sounds like somebody
is allocating wiggle-room for advanced cryptographic skullduggery.