git magic in contrib/bc

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Apr 28 18:44:54 UTC 2021

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 20:00:38 +0300
Yuri Pankov <yuripv at ftml.net> wrote:

> Not sure if it's just me, but I'm seeing a bit of git weirdness in
> contrib/bc:

I'm seeing the same here, also when doing:

  rm .git/index
  git reset
  git status

after this, `git diff' also shows what changed in those files (basically
every line). It's all whitespace characters, as `git diff -w' is empty.

Turns out EOLs changed, I suspect this is due to the eol overrides in
contrib/bc/.gitattributes. If I comment those out, "git diff" is silent
again.

Cheers,
Michael

> $ cd freebsd-src
> $ git status
> On branch main
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'.
>
> nothing to commit, working tree clean
> $ cd ..
> $ cp -a freebsd-src freebsd-src-copy
> $ cd freebsd-src-copy
> $ git status
> On branch main
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'.
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working
> directory) modified:   contrib/bc/bc.vcxproj
>         modified:   contrib/bc/bc.vcxproj.filters
>         modified:   contrib/bc/bcl.vcxproj
>         modified:   contrib/bc/bcl.vcxproj.filters
>
> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
>
> I can't figure what exactly changed in these files, diff (normal
> command, not git diff) does not show any differences, they are not
> symlinks.
>
> This happens with clean clones from git.freebsd.org,
> gitrepo.freebsd.org, and github; it did not happen previously (not
> sure when it started though) -- I was usually just copying the whole
> tree into ~/ws/.
>
> Any hints?

Michael Gmelin