stable/13, vm page counts do not add up

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 13 14:01:54 UTC 2021

On 07/04/2021 23:56, Mark Johnston wrote:
> I don't know what might be causing it then.  It could be a page leak.
> The kernel allocates wired pages without adjusting the v_wire_count
> counter in some cases, but the ones I know about happen at boot and
> should not account for such a large disparity.  I do not see it on a few
> systems that I have access to.

Mark or anyone,

do you have a suggestion on how to approach hunting for the potential page leak?
It's been a long while since I worked with that code and it changed a lot.

Here is some additional info.
I had approximately 2 million unaccounted pages.
I rebooted the system and that number became 20 thousand which is more
reasonable and could be explained by those boot-time allocations that you mentioned.
After 30 hours of uptime the number became 60 thousand.

I monitored the number and so far I could not correlate it with any activity.

P.S.
I have not been running any virtual machines.
I do use nvidia graphics driver.

--
Andriy Gapon